I’m excited to announce the Dataverse 3.1.0 release is now available.
This GA release is a significant step forward in the capability set of Dataverse as it delivers the first GA Dataverse Server editions. The Server editions enable you to deploy Dataverse in your IT environment as a shared service, with a zero-install footprint for clients - who access Dataverse as a web application via their browser. Of course, we are still offering you the ability to use Dataverse on stand-alone desktop/laptop machines and a new version of the Dataverse Desktop edition is also delivered by this release.
In addition to the introduction of the Dataverse Server editions, the release provides a range of enhancements that simplify the use of the Data Viewer and streamline routine administration of the system. It also delivers numerous performance, stability and usability improvements.
Dataverse Server Editions
The Dataverse 3.1.0 release introduces two new product editions:
Dataverse Automation Server
- Dataverse Automation Server provides a powerful, multi-user platform that combines advanced analytics capabilities with self-service data preparation
- In addition to delivering interactive data flow creation and execution, the Dataverse Automation Server provides scheduled execution of data flows
- The Web Application Programming Interface enable external applications to integrate with Dataverse using open standard APIs
- Windows Server 2012R2 64-bit platform support.
Dataverse Enterprise Server
In addition to the features provided by the Dataverse Automation Server, the Dataverse Enterprise Server provides the following capabilities:
- Integration with enterprise user authentication systems using LDAP/ Active Directory
- Licensed support for Dataverse instances for Development, Test and Production use
- RedHat Enterprise 6.X 64-bit and RedHat Enterprise 7.X 64-bit platform support.
Dataverse Server Features:
- Users access the Dataverse Server via their desktop Browser application
- The Dataverse Designer User Interface is an HTML5 web application
- Supported browsers are as follows:
- Internet Explorer 11.
- Access controls - named users sign in to access the Dataverse Designer client UI
- User roles - Administrator and End User
- User management - Dataverse Automation Server provides integrated user management tools
- Multiple workspace support - Each user has a personal document collection and can access a shared public collection.
- Move Documents - Users can move documents from the My Documents location to the Public Documents location, or vice versa.
- File Upload / File Download - Users can upload data files from their desktops to two locations on the server: the 'Public' or 'My Folder' location. The Dataverse instance can be configured to disable the download of all documents, if required.
- Automation Services Scheduling - Allows you to schedule the execution of data flows to run automatically on the Dataverse Server.
- Automation Services – REST API - Dataverse Server editions support integration with external applications using the Dataverse REST API. The Dataverse API documentation is available from the following location in your Dataverse installation:
For example: http://dataverse.example.com:8080/docs/dist/api/index.html
- LDAP/AD Integration - The Dataverse Enterprise Server edition provides integration with enterprise directory services for user authentication.
Other Dataverse Application Enhancements
Back-up and Restore
The Dataverse application creates daily back-up files. The Dataverse installer now provides an option to restore from a selected back-up file, should this be necessary.
Data Viewer Enhancement
When viewing multiple data sets in the Data Viewer the context menu displayed when you ‘right-click’ on a tab now provides options to ‘Close All’ tabs and to ‘Close All Others’.
Usage data collection controls
The Dataverse Professional Desktop, Dataverse Power Desktop and Dataverse Server editions allow the collection of anonymous usage data to be disabled, if required.
- Copy of Data from the Data Viewer - Previously, when data was copied from the Data Viewer extraneous quote characters were added to the data. LAE-8259
Import LNA fails with null error - Previously, the import of a data flow (.lna file) could fail with a null error if index corruption had occurred when the .lna file was exported and the file was imported into another Dataverse instance. LAE-8222
Filter Node created from Data Viewer is Case-sensitive - Filters applied in the Data Viewer were previously case insensitive. However, when a Filter node was created on the canvas from the Data Viewer it was case sensitive. Filters within the Data Viewer and the filter criteria of a Filter node are now both case-insensitive. LAE-8270